Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Women Of The Hobby -

I've been metal detecting a long time; a little more than 50 -years to date and I have to say, I really like the trend of more women getting into the hobby. Many years ago, you'd see the occasional lady swinging a coil in the dry sand, but it was rare. Women have more developed hearing than men, and that may account for their fairly rapid mastery of metal detecting, or at least the tones, although my wife says "I don't know about THAT,"  after pretty well besting me on various finds throughout the last 7 or 8 years that she has been my metal detecting partner. 


My wife, Patti, detected a 1926 Model-T Ford worm gear
I know quite a few of the women hunters in the Central Florida Metal Detecting Club, and some women who are independent hunters, and most of them are very proficient with their machines. Many take part in the CFMDC SEARCH TEAM which assists local police departments seeking critical evidence at a crime scene, while gaining experience in an aspect of metal detecting few detectorists will ever see.
CFMDC Search Team members Joanne, Nanette, Patti and Carolyn at a police hydration station
I do a monthly presentation at CFMDC meetings we call a "Tech Talk" where we try to present some useful information (a.k.a. News You Can Use) to new members, because new members may be also new to the hobby as well. I've been boring members for going on 3-years or so now, with 10-minute sound bites on search coil selection, proper digging techniques, properly pinpointing a target and what to do if you attract flying saucers with your pulse machine. Stuff like that. One of the most interesting talks I think by far was one that I did not present. I asked two of the experienced lady hunters, Kathy and Patrica, to do a tech talk for the substantial number of women in the club; Kathy on successful beach-hunting scoop techniques for ladies with their less developed upper body strength, and Patrica on use and ground balancing of the Garrett "carrot" pin-pointer. 
Kathy, visible for miles along  the beach, digging a target in the sub-tropical Atlantic beach

Their presentations were awesome. to say the least, and I think it was another affirmation that women have "arrived" in metal detecting, when ladies have enough tenure in the hobby to help other ladies understand the technical aspects and techniques of this sometimes complex hobby. Women seem to listen a little better when owners of lost property talk...we men are action oriented NOW LET'S LIGHT THIS CANDLE AND GO! whereas women seem to be more information oriented...which is weird because in my experience women don't seem to listen at all. Perhaps when gold and jewels enter the conversation, they are more attentive than when listening to me complain about pretty much everything.

One woman detectorist, Tish, created her own metal detecting group, "The Forgotten History Hunters" and friends, gaining permissions by gaining trust of homeowners on historic private properties in Central Florida, and recovering many historic items that would have never seen the light of day again.

Carolyn and Tish of "The Forgotten History Hunters" of Central Florida

Overall, I think it is an amazing trend, with more women becoming involved in the hobby as time goes on. I also like the trend because I don't get in trouble for coming home late while metal detecting anymore...she's right beside me!


4 comments:

  1. Jeez, Jim, you're hoping! I can imagine the response I'll get from my good lady (even the wife! Ha!) after getting home late and telling her;

    "It's ok dear I've been in the woods with Sadie (or Debbie from Dallas) and she wanted to see my probe." I'm a dead man!!!!

    Then again, I'm of that age where my wife reckons I'm like a dog that chases cars: If I caught one I wouldn't know what to do with it.

    BTW Dick Stout still owes me $20 from back in 1986 when I subbed him for booze in a downtown bar in AC. He denies it of course...but would I lie?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a new world, John. Jerry, our webmaster, just informed me the top three finds categories in our club are held by women! I think Dick Stout must have been referring to you in his last blog when he stated "...people who simply befriended me for their personal gain." I don't think $20 is much of a personal gain, John, but maybe $20 going back 31-years at 12% interest and coming to $892.80 today could be considered a personal gain. Maybe. Thanks for your comment John! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "which is weird because in my experience women don't seem to listen at all....."

    Hmm, no comment.

    Another good post James...thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mr. Stout...and thanks for your comment! Now if I could only get all the misspellings and grammatical errors out of this thing, I might make some progress.

      Delete