Wednesday, October 31, 2018

Haunted Treasure Hunting - Supernatural VLF

Most metal detectorists have met the paranormal once or twice during a treasure hunt, or as a sideline to the search itself. I've recently blogged about a "ghost car" that tried passing me, while I was on a metal detecting run to Cocoa Beach, the driver waved at me, then the car simply vanished, much to my concern and annoyance. I later found the road I had been driving on was considered to be one of the most haunted roads in Central Florida because of the many fatal accidents that had occurred. One person told me that it was "...literally a graveyard from one end to the other!"



In conversation with other detectorists, I have found that they have admitted things can be a little off while hunting certain properties and driving late at night through "possessed" areas...highways and byways of many deaths, sorrows and loss which can take you life too if you are not careful. Beware! Here are several other stories of metal detecting the paranormal...throw another log on the fire!

I'm not going to name names, for obvious reasons...would you? But these are all true...happened as told to me. Our first story involves several friends with a permission to hunt a property in a small, Civil War era town. The house had been closed up for several years, after someone passed away inside. One of our intrepid crew had explored the interior of the property prior to the group...late at night...by herself. She had been live-streaming the video to me while she wandered around a dusty Christmas tree which had been set up for Christmas in 1996 and still stood silently in a musty living room 20-years later. There were unexplained noises, doors moving by themselves and a general aura of GET OUT even coming through the phone. I told her she needed to leave there right away and she finally agreed. When she returned with the group a few weeks later, as they were leaving a blast of wind from inside the house almost blew them out the door!

Back in 1984, one of my regular detecting buddies had joined me metal detecting an old farm near the everglades, west of Ft. Lauderdale...a permission property that the new owner was going to raze before a new condominium was to be built later in the year. It was around 3 p.m. when we finally made it to the decaying farm. The old farmhouse was from the 1890's and was a sad sight...windows broken or no windows at all. The roof had collapsed, and timbers reached skyward like broken teeth. Green mold covered much of the rotting walls. We found a few iron relics, square nails and a few V-Nickles. We were metal detecting on the west side of the house, and it was around 7 p.m. and night was falling...it was getting hard to see. My buddy suddenly started staring behind me, and said "She does not look very happy!" I swung around and in the broken window behind me, stood an elderly woman with white hair in a bun, an old fashioned white apron, and what looked like a gingham blue dress under it. A pale blue glow surrounded her, and she glared at us with disapproval. My buddy yelled at her, "What are you doing in there? It's unsafe...!!!" I looked back and the woman and the glow were gone!
We tiptoed across the rotting porch and pushed open what was left of the sagging water-logged door. My buddy switched on his big seven-cell flashlight and aimed it inside...most of the floorboards inside had collapsed, leaving gaping holes in the floor. A huge spider of some kind, the size of my hand, skittered across the bent wood. We both backed away, but I grabbed the light and pointed it toward the window where we had both seen the woman looking at us. The floor had completely caved in and there would have been no place to stand in the first place...she had been standing in mid-air!!!  A few weeks later, the place was completely bulldozed, and the remains burned. I wonder if she had looked out at the heavy equipment operator with disapproval as the huge steel blade made contact with the rotting porch? 

The last story, which happened just a few months ago, was quite a surprise to another friend who had experienced it. Coming back after midnight, along the famous "Dead Zone" on RT 4, in Sanford, Florida, my friend saw what was initially perceived as a deer trying to cross the deserted highway, but getting closer turned out to be a man wearing an old-fashioned hat riding a farm horse of some kind. My friend said it looked like a TV image...kind of grayish or bluish...and if my friend had not been going well below highway speeds, it could have resulted in a bad accident. As my friend passed this apparition, a glance in the rear-view mirror showed nothing but empty asphalt behind the vehicle.

Of course, these kind of incidents are few and far between, but as treasure hunters, many times we go to deserted places, now lifeless in many ways, but once teeming with people and good times and bad times and every other emotional flavor humans can have. It has been surmised that very strong human emotions, which are basically electromagnetic brain waves, can somehow "imprint" themselves on the surrounding environment; houses, roads, rocks, cars and the like. Maybe the electromagnetic signature of our machines have a disturbing effect on that element...and we see what we see...or maybe not. Happy Halloween!

4 comments:

  1. Great post Jim.... I will tell you I experienced these out of body experiences every single time I detected with John Howland. If you should ever have the opportunity drink AFTERWARD not before.

    Oh and never lend him money....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dick! I will heed your advice. Did you ever get your $20 back?

      Delete