Tuesday, June 25, 2019

Making A Living Metal Detecting

This happens a lot lately, thinking metal detecting would be a great job, which is ironic, because at this point in time the hordes of detectorists that consider this, have made this life-choice well neigh impossible by their very existence. I'm talking about making enough revenue from your finds to eke out enough profit from that revenue to support yourself. Let me be clear here...that's not gonna happen. In the last 56-years I've been in this hobby I've seen this tiny light go on once in a while in either a newbie's head, or a casual detector operator's head, and it pains me to see it. Because it's pie-in-the sky baloney. Now there are a few hardy souls who have managed to make a living, nay, even a good living, out of treasure hunting per say, and you notice I did not mention metal detecting? And those that have, usually have a side gig or two to help keep their income afloat. Like writing a book, hosting a TV program, or paid speaking engagements while hawking t-shirts and mugs with your logo or face on it...need I go on?


As far as metal detecting goes as a job, it is right up there with being unemployed, with unemployed being at the top, at least bringing in some meager government benefits. Now I know people who have spent a year or more unemployed, putting themselves out there metal detecting every day. Occasionally they may hit the jackpot, more or less, by finding expensive jewelry. A few thousand dollars for a few months of metal detecting, once you subtract your fixed costs for your vehicle, fuel, insurance, maintenance, and your metal detecting gear and batteries costs, and the actual hours spent scanning the sand, you'll find a gig taking lunch orders at McDonald's a better all-around deal; air conditioning and $15 an hour beat the uncertainty and downright overheated plodding existence of scavenging a beach. The most I've ever seen anyone ever make from metal detecting on an average day is about $17 for the entire day...and I mean about 12 to 14-hours in the searing sun and elements. And that's a good day!

Of course, the vision shared by most who think this may be a viable option see themselves spending an enjoyable few hours at the beach...warm breezes, shady palm trees and downing a cold lemonade at the snack-bar afterward, with a pouch filled with a few thousand bucks worth of gold and silver jewelry. The cold, hard truth is you probably won't have found enough to even afford that lemonade and not even remotely your visit to the ER for dehydration and dizziness!

Now, it is possible for retirees to supplement their income by finding gold and silver occasionally, and enjoy a rare movie and maybe something other than cat food to eat for that month, but as a full-time job, probably not an option. And even if you can somehow manage to find enough month to month to afford to live in your car, you will never look at the hobby as an enjoyable pastime ever again. And that is not worth it! My opinion for what it is worth...which ain't much. Happy hunting and good luck and don't quit your day job! 





7 comments:

  1. So true, I have been blessed with some stellar finds, but as you said after fuel, lunches, and equipment I have lost money. Now the great part of detecting is I could supplement some income if need be, but it's the fun of the hunt and all the friends I have acquired through the years. Outstanding article Jim, and when I finally do stop working, I will hunt as much as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kenneth! Thanks for your comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well Jim ..... next your gonna tell me there is no Easter Bunny! Now I’ve got the change my idea of metal detecting my way to the end of the rainbow.... I hope your happy! LOL. Great article, thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the wake up call Alan...and I'd stay the hell away from rainbows if I were you :-)

      Delete
  4. Jim I've seen this pie in the sky stuff over the years and I just nod my head and say good luck. Even the tekkies they think were making a living swing a coil had a real job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, Dick, I've seen people who thought they we making money detecting, and after they grudgingly added up the costs, including the time they spent swinging, they were losing money!

      Delete